The 24 Foundation Spring 2013 Part 2

My third of Visual Arts!
Spring 2013 with The 24 Foundation zoomed before my eyes.  Just as all of us were really getting to know each other, life took one of its biggest pitches at me.  In a way I was very glad to have shared that moment with the girls I work with.  All of us have dealt with some type of loss, had to come to acceptance, learn to adapt, and face our fears of separation.  Before home week, some shared that they didn't even want to go home to deal with what they desire to separate from:  their old self, or even old ways of family life.

I didn't know that this would actually become a way for our small group to bond.  So, week 2, before home week, one of the girls could not help but come to visual arts group with a very long face.  She shared with us that her dog is gone. Every so often the cadets get to call home.  The last thing she thought would happen while she was trying to make this transformation and change in her life was that she would loose her beloved dog.  I had no idea what to say.  She was heading home for the week to deal with loss.  I've never lost a pet that I was so attached to so I had no idea what to say besides sympathize with her and encourage her.  Everyone was encouraging, and supportive as best as they could be.  Although it didn't heal the pain right away, It helped that we could bond through sharing and being vulnerable.  We all bid each other farewell and a good home week.

During my home week I was relaxed and well for the most part, until one day, my grandma was not herself.  That night something changed in her physicality, and my aunt and I took her to the ER.  That day, I was to fly to Dallas for a leadership retreat.  Long story short a week later, She passed, week 3 of 24 I was not able to attend the session due to loss, separation, acceptance, and adaptation.  I directly went through it with my family, but indirectly the girls experienced my loss too.  I could not be there for them that week and they could feel my pain.  I had my co-mentors explain my situation and read a short letter.  The one thing I told them to remember was to keep being strong, and courageous.  We never know what happens,  but, we can share and continually learn from one another.

 We all thought that I would not be coming back to finish off the spring session.  But, by God's goodness, my grandma's life celebration went well, and I was able to come back for week 4 to see all they had accomplished in the talent show case.  I am so proud of them.  They were all really sweet, hugs all around, big smiles, and good cheer.

Spring 2013 Visual Arts Gallery

Typography Project:  Each week we would illustrate and graphically design a word that described the word of the week.  Seeing them grouped together displays the thought process and transitions that each designer is going through.  Each series has its own style, use of texture, color, and line.  It's intriguing to see how each word is expressed, and how much each person has changed when challenged to think about their "past, present and future self".  

Ruff, Torn, and Eager
Once Upon a Time, Storng Dedicated and Free, New Beginning
Lost, Value, Persistant
Left:  Insecure, Love, Health
RIght:  SIN, faith, Bliss

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roosevelt Middle School: Compton Initiative Workday

Pin the Wattle on the Turkey

Centerpieces for Samodi Wedding 11/1712