Diving by the Pier

Sometimes we get creatively stuck, kind of like writers block.  It's always good to take a blank canvas, an opportunity, and friends get away from the work/studio environment and just do something therapeutic.

I was given the opportunity this past May to be a featured artist for the Urban Ocean Festival at the Aquarium of the Pacific down in Long Beach.  I had just the right amount of time to plan and do something well thought out and prepared.  BUT...life happens on the in between and several family emergencies occurred.  I took one day in May just to process it all, I had no plan, and I had no ideas.  I just wanted to face a blank canvas and see where my imagination, a different world would take me.  With the community surrounding, kids painting, other artist indulging, and aquarium volunteers/staff helping.  It was a good run.  That place of tranquility was found in an array of colors, and the thought of snorkeling/diving by the pier.  

unfinished 
just for scale
That afternoon I wasn't able to finish the painting, but it was a start.  Refreshing and the exact therapeutic exercise I needed.  A few months later, I'm in transition again, grad school will be starting next week.  So I thought I'd invite some friends who have been creatively constipated as well to come and unwind on my front porch.  They say there not artistic, but I beg to differ.  I'm glad they got to come over, had good conversations, good dinner, and of course topped it off with an amazing mural.  

Diving by the pier, 5 ft. by 7 ft, acrylic.
Thanks for joining in Avery, Charlene, and Claudia.
Check out the Art Miles Mural Project and the Aquarium of the Pacific.  They're always in partnership in advocating for public art, community development, educational development, and family development.  Always a pleasure working under these two non-profits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roosevelt Middle School: Compton Initiative Workday

Pin the Wattle on the Turkey

Centerpieces for Samodi Wedding 11/1712