#3. Joyful Sigh



Joyful Sigh, 9 in. by 6. in.  watercolor (calligraphy:Kristoffer Ramos)

During MCYA retreat I opened a free flow session to paint Words of Affirmation.  Each year I like to chose a word that would bring cheer into my life.  A group of 8 of us gathered to paint together.  They didn't know I literally meant that we would all paint together.  

In this reflective, fun, and active painting session each person chooses one word.  I specifically asked them to choose a word and a verb that brings them cheer.  We each wrote the phrase on the back of our paper.  This phrase was concealed to the group.  

Every minute or two we passed down our pieces until they returned to our hands.  I guided the session by saying to dot, splash, wash, or drip the watercolor.  Stop, pass it on.  At the end we announced our phrases and saw interpretive outcome of our collaborative painting session.  

My friend Kris is a jack of many trades, especially laughter.  The last few months I haven't been able to laugh much or easily.  But once I touched down in San Jose, the laughter was non-stop.  This piece is a milestone reminder of how from sadness joy overflows.  Kris happened to bring his calligraphy pens and offered to write out our words for us.  Each word exemplified in color and letters. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roosevelt Middle School: Compton Initiative Workday

Pin the Wattle on the Turkey

#4. Deep Blue