#4. Deep Blue

Deep Blue, 9 in. by 12 in., watercolor, 02/14/2019

I totally missed the last week of the creative challenge I set out for this year.  I thought to continue on rather than look back and dwell on the fact that I missed a week already.

This week has been tough playing catch up to all the structured responsibilities that I have.  Traveling out of town two weeks in a row was really fun and awesome, but it did take quite a bit of effort and energy.  Not to include that there have been some hard conversations and quite a bit of transitions on the team that I work with at my part-time job.

I needed to sit and paint to let loose and let go of all that structure.  All the tension, worries, and "suppose to" went into letting the water and colors work on my behalf.

Deep blue • flood • running river • flow • calm storm • abstract • letting go • defender • love is war • oceans • move • let justice flow • mercy • grace • waves : these were all the words that came to mind.

On a practical note, one of the hardest things about being on social media is seeing all the awesome art that is produced.  Detailed watercolor botanicals tutorials, sunsets, scenic painting, florals etc.  I honestly, haven't been able to sit down for extensive time to prepare myself for detailed painting.  I often want to do the same subjects as what I am seeing online.  Botanicals, trees, flowers are all what I am known for in my work.  

This time and season I'm reflecting on the fact that as an artist I am changing.  And part of the creative challenge is to be in exercise of my creativity and imagination.  Sitting down to paint and let abstract shapes, lines, and forms take place are addressing my inner state of being.  

As I taught a workshop a few weeks ago, the take away was, "Accept and acknowledge the present reality, and work up to the ideals."  My hope for those who attended my workshop on Irrigating Your Faith was that they would continue to discover their faith in a meaningful way using visual language in their journey.  Hopefully, as I practice painting once a week, I'll be able to work up to a focused subject once again.  For now, simple and more loose exercising it is.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roosevelt Middle School: Compton Initiative Workday

Pin the Wattle on the Turkey